Products You May Like
Nearly three years after stepping back from royal duties, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are set to share an unprecedented look at their lives beyond the palace in an upcoming Netflix documentary. It’s just one of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s many projects, which include Prince Harry’s upcoming memoir Spare and Meghan’s Spotify podcast Archetypes.
The news of a Sussex doc hardly comes as a surprise considering the couple signed a massive, multi-year deal with Netflix in 2020. The agreement allowed them to produce documentaries, docu-series, feature films, scripted shows, and children’s titles for the streamer.
This specific project, however, does not yet have a title or release date—there have barely been any official Netflix announcements about it—but the buzz and anticipation abound nonetheless. (And we do know the doc exists because Meghan has discussed it in recent interviews.) Here’s what else we know so far.
When will it be released?
The release date was reportedly pushed back out of respect for Queen Elizabeth II following her death in September, and following complaints about the portrayals of the royal family in The Crown, whose latest season began streaming on Netflix on Nov. 9.
What will it be about?
While Page Six has reported that this will be an “at-home with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex-style” docuseries, most details remain unconfirmed by the couple and Netflix itself. Meghan, however, has dropped vague hints in recent months.
Speaking to The Cut in August, she shut down rumors that the series would be a reality show. “The piece of my life I haven’t been able to share, that people haven’t been able to see, is our love story,” she said. But when asked to clarify whether she and Harry were filming a doc on their love story, she added, “What’s so funny is I’m not trying to be cagey. I don’t read any press. So I don’t know what’s confirmed. I will tell you Liz Garbus is incredible.”
Oscar-nominated Garbus, who directed documentaries like What Happened, Miss Simone? and Love, Marilyn, stepped in after Garrett Bradley exited the project. Garbus was also working on Pearl, a feminist animated series produced by the Sussexes, which Netflix axed for budget reasons earlier this year.
While speaking to Variety for an October cover story, Meghan clarified that the docuseries was not made “the way we would have told it,” but she and Harry trusted Garbus with their narrative.
“It’s nice to be able to trust someone with our story — a seasoned director whose work I’ve long admired — even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it,” the duchess said. “But that’s not why we’re telling it. We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens.”
Meghan told The Cut that her and Harry’s future projects will carry the theme, quoted from her wedding speech, of the “resounding knowing that, above all, love wins.” She explained, “I hope that is the sentiment that people feel when they see any of the content or the projects that we are working on.”
Erica Gonzales is the Senior Culture Editor at ELLE.com, where she oversees coverage on TV, movies, music, books, and more. She was previously an editor at HarpersBAZAAR.com. There is a 75 percent chance she’s listening to Lorde right now.